Day Two: More of the Same at the Republican National Convention
Contact: Planned Parenthood Action Fund Media Office, 212-261-4433
What You Won’t Hear from Tonight’s RNC Speakers
- VICE-PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE PAUL RYAN, who among other things, has stated that he would end all safe and legal abortion with no exceptions for rape, incest, or the health of the woman. Ryan also authored a budget plan to dismantle Medicaid, jeopardizing the basic health care millions of women rely on, and sponsored so-called “personhood” legislation, which would give full constitutional rights to fertilized eggs and could ban some forms of birth control and fertility treatments.
- SEN. RAND PAUL (R-KY), who held up a flood insurance bill in the middle of hurricane season, insisting that the Senate agree that life begins at “the moment of fertilization.” He also insisted on staging an abortion-related vote rather than allowing the chamber to proceed with passing the flood insurance bill.
- SEN. JOHN THUNE (R-SD), who co-sponsored legislation that would allow bosses to refuse to provide birth control coverage in their employees’ health insurance plans. Then he voted for a measure that went even further — allowing any corporation or health plan to refuse to cover any health care service they object to, such as cancer screenings, maternity care, HIV/AIDS treatments, and others. This year, Senator Thune also voted against the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act, a bipartisan measure to combat domestic violence and sexual assault.
- TIM PAWLENTY, who as governor of Minnesota, sought deep cuts to Minnesota’s family planning budget and pushed for ineffective abstinence-only curricula while cutting comprehensive sex education programs for teens.
- MIKE HUCKABEE, who has said he would “most certainly” overturn Roe v. Wade — ending safe and legal abortion, and as governor of Arkansas, signed many anti-women bills into law, including an extreme abortion ban, The Woman's Right to Know, and a bill requiring parental consent for a minor's abortion.
You can read Tuesday’s rundown from Planned Parenthood Action Fund here.
# # #
Planned Parenthood Action Fund is an independent, nonpartisan, not-for-profit membership organization formed as the advocacy and political arm of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. The Action Fund engages in educational and electoral activity, including voter education, grassroots organizing, and legislative advocacy.